I used to think that making crackers seemed like a "too hard basket" kind of job. Especially when you can just go on down to the supermarket and buy them! BUT- I am now converted. Homemade is soooo easy, very cheap, and really delicious!
Here is the recipe that I use to make the ultimate high protein, grainy crackers.
- 1x can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1x cup rolled oats (add more if mixture seems to wet)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Additional herbs and flavours (garlic, rosemary, mixed herbs etc).
- Additional seeds - optional (e.g. sesame seeds, pumpkin, flaxseeds, sunflower)
1. Blend the chickpeas in a food processor.
2. Add all other ingredients - EXCLUDING oil and blend together until oats are as chunky or as fine as you prefer.
3. Add oil gradually and blend until the mixture forms a ball.
4. Add additional seeds if desired (this is quite nice to add more texture to the crackers)
5. Place the dough on a baking paper lined tray and roll out into a ball. Press down with your hands then using an extra layer of baking paper on top of the dough, roll it flat with a rolling pin. The thinner you roll, the crispier the cracker will go- so decide based on your preference. I usually roll to ~ 1/2 cm thick.
6. Using a knife - score the crackers into cracker shapes e.g. small squares or rectangles. Make sure to prick the middle of each cracker with a fork or skewer to help them bake evenly and prevent from going soggy underneath!
7. Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 45mins- or until golden brown.